Thursday 18 December 2014

Can anyone be a philanthropist?


Recently I have heard lots of arguments that seem to extend the opportunity to be a philanthropist to all of us. One line is that philanthropy is not just about giving money but is also giving your time and skills. There are lots of great pro bono schemes out there like The Cranfield Trust and Pro Bono Economics which are based on volunteering. (Suddenly, it seems that the term philanthropy gets applied when volunteers are skilled professionals and not ordinary people.)
The other common argument is that whenever we give any sum of money to a good cause then we are not donors or givers but philanthropists. I applaud the democratisation of giving which means through donations or crowdfunding pledges, funds from lots of individuals get pooled to have a greater impact. But I don’t think it is philanthropy when it is a group act. Even less so is tax paying, which is also claimed as philanthropic. Tax paying is a legal requirement, a duty, an act of distribution but as an individual I have no control over how my money is spent beyond a vote.
So what for me sets philanthropy apart is control – the ability of an individual to choose what to support - and having enough money to have an impact. So I, like most people, think of philanthropists as wealthy individuals whose money changes things – think Bill Gates and malaria or Thomas Barnardo’s children’s homes.
Perhaps calling us all philanthropists is to be welcomed as a way of claiming for the ordinary person something that usually conveys status and influence on the rich. But I don’t think philanthropists are the same as us. When I use my individual choice to give a small donation to a cause no one worries that I am wielding undemocratic power. There really is something different when your donations are big, influential and high profile. But this does raise the question – just how much money does it take to be a philanthropist? And is it true that anyone can be one?


No comments:

Post a Comment